DDRescue-GUI stuck at Pass 5 - 99%

dumbassbasil

DDRescue-GUI stuck at Pass 5 - 99%

Post by dumbassbasil »

So I was happy last night seeing it was nearing its completion but just woke up to this?
Why is it stuck at 99%? The time remaining changes from 9 days to 32 days to n/a...

My DDRescue-GUI settings are set to fastest recovery.
Do I just wait it out or what? I don't want to cancel/abort this..
dumbassbasil

Re: DDRescue-GUI stuck at Pass 5 - 99%

Post by dumbassbasil »

by the time im writing this, its recovered data when up by 1GB to 1999.0GB, pct rescued to 99.95%.
But the thing is, the current read rate is fluctuating between 0 B/s and normal rate. What's happening here?
hamishmb
Site Admin

Post by hamishmb »

This is probably because the disk is damaged - parts of it may be difficult to read or even impossible to read. Seeing as you have a map file specified, you could stop now, but that may result in some of your data not being recovered. Of course, you can restart it again, as detailed in the manual to get the rest if needed: https://www.hamishmb.com/html/Docs/ddrescue-gui.php

If you can wait, I'd suggest you give it a bit longer and see how long it's going to take. It's hard for the time estimates to be accurate at this stage so they will probably vary wildly.

Hope this helps.
dumbassbasil

Post by dumbassbasil »

hamishmb wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:31 pm This is probably because the disk is damaged - parts of it may be difficult to read or even impossible to read. Seeing as you have a map file specified, you could stop now, but that may result in some of your data not being recovered. Of course, you can restart it again, as detailed in the manual to get the rest if needed: https://www.hamishmb.com/html/Docs/ddrescue-gui.php

If you can wait, I'd suggest you give it a bit longer and see how long it's going to take. It's hard for the time estimates to be accurate at this stage so they will probably vary wildly.

Hope this helps.
So I stopped it, don't want to continue from the log file anymore lol. So can't mount this and I'm advised to use PhotoRec, is that correct?
Any advice/tips on using that?
hamishmb
Site Admin

Post by hamishmb »

Yes, my advice is to use PhotoRec if you can't mount your image.

I don't currently have a PhotoRec tutorial (though maybe I will make one), but there is a good tutorial from the people who made it at: https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec_Step_By_Step

As that tutorial says, if the filesystem you want to recover from was FAT32 or NTFS, Testdisk might be worth trying first.
dumbassbasil

Post by dumbassbasil »

So how do I use testdisk for an img file? Need to extract it to another hard disk..
Last edited by dumbassbasil on Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hamishmb
Site Admin

Post by hamishmb »

Just run:

Code: Select all

testdisk /path/to/file.img