Western digital My Book Live data recovery.

MBLHKF

Western digital My Book Live data recovery.

Post by MBLHKF »

Our My Book Live (MBL) recently stopped working, I am not sure if we are victims of the recent cyber-attack or repeated interruption to the mains supply caused the issue, or a combination of both!
I removed the drive 2TB WD drive from the MBL and plugged it into a laptop via usb to sata converter – attempted data recovery with trial versions of Disk Genius and Easeus data recovery, both of which showed recoverable files – but after say 5% of scanning they would stop and could not be restarted, the drive seemed to take itself offline. Tried different hardware combinations, eventually found disk directly connected to a desktop motherboard and operating systems booting from a usb drive gave best results. I tried various cloning software, recovery utilities, different operating systems etc. All of which failed
The drive seemed to badly damaged! Thankfully I found DDRescue with the graphical user interface, which put the software within my technical ability – Thank you.
The fact it will skip bad sectors is fantastic and has a logfile so if it crashes for any reason you can restart the process it a total game changer.
Using Disk Genius I could see the partitions on the original drive from the MBL so I purchased a near identical 2tb WD drive, with the idea of cloning the drive and putting the new drive into the MBL and seeing/hoping the original directory structure was intact. After several days and a few restarts DDR rescue had recovered 99.99% of the data. As I am using the windows version DDRescue couldn’t mount the output. I tried OSFmount but this doesn’t see the drive, I suspect this is because Windows doesn’t recognise the drives and wants to reformat it! If I run Easeus data recovery I can scan the new drive and see my image and office files etc, so that’s a huge step forward and can probably recover the files using that.

However, I wonder if there is a more elegant way to do this? If I could recover the partitions, this would mean I could target my recovery to just one partition. Any thoughts would be much appreciated?
Is Easeus data recovery software as good as any? Or are there better alternatives?

Attached log file and some screenshots showing the partitions as shown in Diskgenius and Easeus

Thanks for your help
Attachments
mbl.log
(23.3 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
dg2new disk.JPG
dg2new disk.JPG (118.14 KiB) Viewed 519 times
dg1old disk.JPG
dg1old disk.JPG (133.87 KiB) Viewed 519 times
hamishmb
Site Admin

Re: Western digital My Book Live data recovery.

Post by hamishmb »

Hi there,

You may have luck using a program called Ext2fsd (https://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd/) to do this from Windows, as Windows cannot read the EXT3 and EXT4 filesystems you seem to have on the drive. I am not sure why the partitions aren't showing up on the new drive in DiskGenius, but I'm not familiar with that program so i may just be worth trying ext2fsd before any more diagnosis.

It may be that you used DDRescue-GUI to copy only one partition, instead of the entire drive, but that can still be workable. Let me know what Ext2fsd has to say and I'll try and provide more assistance.

Hamish
MBLHKF

Post by MBLHKF »

Thanks for the reply
Installed Ext2fsd. Wasn’t exactly sure how it works, anyway it has the option to copy all information to the clipboard which I did for the old drive, powered down the pc and plugged the new drive in and repeated the process. I don’t understand the detail, but it looks as if DDRescue has done its job and copied the entire drive. Hope the txt files make more sense to you. I couldn’t access either disk from windows.

Thanks for your help
Regards Howard
Attachments
olddisk.txt
(1.66 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Newdisk.txt
(1.66 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
MBLHKF

Post by MBLHKF »

I found the reason all the partitions weren’t shown by Disk Genius.
When I cloned the original disk from the Mybooklive it was directly plugged into the SATA port on the motherboard and the target disk was connected via a USB SATA converter ( I couldn’t get the two disks to work when they both connected to the motherboard – I think the faulty disk was causing problems with the SATA bus). When I plugged the target disk directly into the mother board Disk Genius read all the partitions as per the original damaged disk, so DDR rescue had done its job Something to do with the USB SATA converter I guess
I will clone the target disk and try putting that disk into the Mybooklive hardware and see if it works! If it doesn’t will have to use data recovery software, any thoughts on which one to use would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help
Howard
hamishmb
Site Admin

Post by hamishmb »

Excellent, I'm glad you managed to get it to work. I'm surprised the USB to SATA adaptor caused that problem but it's good to have it fixed.

I would recommend using PhotoRec, but whether that will work depends on what file types you're trying to recover - it can detect most but not all types of files.

Hamish