DDRescue-GUI 2.1.0 Release Notes
This is the first new version of DDRescue-GUI in over a year. I have made it worth your wait, and kept busy working on fixes and new features for you. There are a lot of changes, but here are the most notable ones:
- Improved and more reliable output file mounting.
- Various bug fixes.
- New “open file viewer” button when output file/device is mounted to make it easier to access your data.
- Menu option to mount disks.
- Better time remaining estimates where available.
- There’s now a tooltip for the map and output files to help avoid confusion about the overwrite prompt.
- Much more reliable output file mounting.
- APFS mounting support for macOS 10.12 and higher.
- GNU ddrescue updated to 1.25, Python updated to 3.8.2, and wxPython updated to 4.0.7.
- Fixed mounting CD images.
- Added LVM disk mounting support.
- Various other fixes.
For all the details, see the blog post.
Note for Linux users:
GetDevInfo needs to be installed before you can install this – head over to https://www.hamishmb.com/html/downloads.php?program_name=getdevinfo or https://launchpad.net/getdevinfo/ to download it first.
Ubuntu 16.04 users also need to install wxpython4.0 from my PPA, either by adding the PPA (below), or downloading and manually installing wxpython4.0.
An alternate way to make this easier for Ubuntu users is to add my PPA to your system (see https://launchpad.net/~hamishmb/+archive/ubuntu/myppa).
DDRescue-GUI 2.1.0 Changes
- Drop support for wxPython 2.8.11, Ubuntu 14.04, and Python 2.7.6.
- Fix logging in submodules.
- Improve in-code documentation.
- Fix using output and log files with spaces in the names.
- Add tooltips for macOS about the overwrite notices.
- Clarify when to enable direct disk access in the settings window.
- Large rewrite and various fixes in output file mounting code.
- Fix mounting CD images on Linux and macOS.
- Fix LP #1852598 Reusing DDRescue-GUI after aborting results in an aborted message upon completion
- Fix LP #1852596 Choosing previously selected file causes DDRescue-GUI to hang
- General cleanup and fixed several hangs.
- Use ddrescue’s time remaining estimates when available, fixes LP#1731640
- Add APFS mounting support for macOS 10.12 and higher.
- Add LVM mounting support for Linux.
- Add explicit support for ddrescue 1.25 and add ddrescue 1.25 binary for macOS.
- Add an “Open File Viewer” button on the finished window.
- Provide a text entry dialog so users on macOS can now select arbitrary devices.
- Don’t present users with choices during mounting when unneccessary.
- Various other smaller fixes and improvements.