DDRescue-GUI 1.5 Release Notes
This is the latest release of DDRescue-GUI, and it’s even more solid than the last one.
A lot of the changes in this release are to improve stability and to fix bugs, but there are also some new features, such as the output box behaving like a terminal, the settings windows remembering settings if you check back later, and a ton of improvements for Mac users 🙂
For more details, see the blog post.
As always, thanks to everyone who’s helped make this program better by reporting bugs, asking questions and giving me general feedback.
DDRescue-GUI 1.5 Changes
- Use Cocoa Dialog (http://mstratman.github.io/cocoadialog/#) to add notifications on OS X, because it works from 10.4 onwards.
- Add LC_ALL=C when calling lshw (GetDevInfo package), so make it work when the system language isn’t English.
- Always call parted with the “-s” flag so it never waits for user input in weird situations, making mounting output files more robust.
- Use a thread to keep track of elapsed time because the wx.Timer seems unreliable on OS X.
- Enable the log file option on OS X (for some reason it’s just working now!).
- Rewrite the OS X portion of the GetDevInfo package to use plists (Property Lists) because it’s faster, easier and more reliable.
- Get direct disk access working on Parted Magic (get physical block size instead of logical block size in GetDevInfo package).
- Fix relatively unimportant GUI formatting issues when using ddrescue v1.20.
- Enable Reverse option on OS X (give ddrescue disk size cos it can’t calculate it).
- Detach images when mounting fails on OS X, allowing the user to try again in some circumstances.
- Fix crash when resizing main window during recovery (wxpython 3.x, Linux only).
- Get \r (carriage return) and \x1b[a (up one line) working in the output box, so ddrescue’s output is now displayed exactly the same as when run from a terminal.
- Fix high CPU Usage on OS X.
- Fix memory leak on OS X.
- Fix big delay before first GUI update on OS X.
- Build ddrescue v1.20 fat binary (32-bit and 64-bit) for OS X.
- Get Reverse and Preallocate working again on OS X.
- Make output box work like a terminal on OS X.
- Fix detecting of complete recovery with all data on OS X.
- Make SettingsWindow remember settings if the user navigates back to it later.
- Stop the user from changing the insertion point in the output box and messing up the formatting by accident.
- If ddrescue won’t exit, prompt user to wait or try again rather than waiting indefinitely until it stops.
- Don’t let the user save outputfile, logfile to /root on Parted Magic because the lack of space will cause the recovery to stop quickly.
- Fix elapsed time counter.
- Make sure to destroy dialogs after using them to free up memory.
- Fix a few last-minute bugs with the settings window.