Hi all! It’s been a while, but I’ve been busy at work preparing a new project, which I will announce soon – stay tuned! In the meantime, you can watch me attempt to get the Linux containers working with CloudReady. Again.
CloudReady: The Writeup
So (and I know I say so a lot :P), this time I installed CloudReady on my laptop, with the spare HDD I kept from the old eBay laptop, before it broke. I know virtualisation works on the laptop, so what could possibly go wrong this time?
Well, for starters, I forgot to actually install it at first. You see, when you boot the USB, you have to start the installation from a semi-hidden menu, which I missed. After a reboot, I started the installation, which was very easy and quite fast too. After that, there was some basic setup stuff to do, but it was basically just logging into my Google account and creating a user account. Pretty simple.
Things started to go wrong at this point – CloudReady was up to date, but the Linux install feature simply didn’t work! I did some research, but haven’t been able to figure out what was going wrong, unfortunately. So, I got even less far on real hardware than I did in a virtual machine. Maybe it doesn’t like my laptop much. I’ll try to figure something out for a part 3, but we have the Windows Subsystem for Linux post coming before that.
This is a somewhat anti-climatic and unexpected (potential) end to the CloudReady series, but stay tuned for the WSL post, where we’ll run commandline and then (hopefully) GUI Linux applications on Windows 10!